A wooden farm gate is not just a gate way to the farm, it is in fact the first thing that people notice when they come for a visit. If you want to create a first great impression you need to make sure you are buying one which is good quality.
Before you buy a wooden farm gate, make sure to ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you looking for a gate which is aesthetic or are you looking for something which is functional.
- Would you like a gate which falls within your budget or you would splurge all out on the gate of your choice.
- What kind of gate would you like to purchase, a standard sized one or one which has been made to measure.
When buying a wooden farm gate keep the following information in mind:
- There are times when some companies would claim that they sell the finest quality gates but you need to be aware that they may be simply be advertising any cheap product and claiming it to be top quality. When you buy a gate do make sure that the company is legit and they sell good quality stuff.
- The kind of timber which you should choose. This however depends on how you want the gates to look. Whether you are looking to get the gate painted, stained or let it be just the way it is. However using stains or paints can help protect the gates from UV damage.
- Gates made from softwood are a cheaper option usually because they are from conifer trees which grow faster when compared to deciduous trees. Hardwood comes from the latter and is therefore more expensive.
- Keep in mind though that softwood gates while economical are not as durable as a hardwood gate. However, when cared for properly the former can be just as functional. It just comes down to how much you can maintain the gate once it’s been installed. On the other hand if you aren’t big on maintenance and aftercare it’s better to choose a hardwood variety which can stand the test of time.
- You also need to make sure whether you are looking for standard sized gates or ones which are made to order. For a farm gate it’s better to choose one which can be customized. Standard sized gates never look appealing and do not fulfill the actual purpose. While those are cheaper simply because these are produced in bulk, it’s better to spend a little extra and choose agate which is to your liking and the required dimensions.
- Buying a mass produced gate is not a good idea because these are produced in bull and stored for long periods of time. Not the best kind of gate at all. You don’t want a gate which would start looking twisted and wrapped.
- Are you looking for ledged gate? Majority of gates are ledged gates. These do not have a surrounding frame work and comprise of two or three horizontal rails of wood joined together. It’s better to go for mortice and tenon jointed gates. The surrounding frame work gives the gates an added stability.
Keeping these things in mind will help you install the right wooden farm gates.